License/Registration Search Online Services Applications and Forms Renewal Information Examination/Registration Info
CPE & Other Training Complaints/Enforcement Consumer Information Plumbing License Law/Board Rules Open Meetings
    Board Members      Links to other sites     Agency Reports       Employment Downloadable Files
Renewal Information

The Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners renews licenses for Master Plumber, Journeyman Plumber, Tradesman Plumber-Limited and Plumbing Inspector. All licenses renew annually and require continuing professional education, by a Board-approved provider, for each license year. Upon issuance of your first license, an expiration date will be selected at random for anywhere from 6-18 months from the date of your successful examination. The only exception to this is for Plumbing Inspector licenses, which expire in January.

The Board renews endorsements for Medical Gas Piping Installation, Multipurpose Residential Fire Protection Sprinkler Specialists and Water Supply Protection Specialists. These endorsements renew in three-year cycles and the expiration dates (month/day) are the same as the Master or Journeyman license. Continuing Professional Education, by a Board-approved provider, is required for the Medical Gas Piping Installation Endorsements and the Multipurpose Residential Fire Protection Sprinkler Specialist Endorsements. Upon issuance of your first endorsement, the expiration date will be set for approximately three years to match the expiration date (month/day) of your license.

The Board also renews Plumber's Apprentice, Drain Cleaner, Drain Cleaner-Restricted and Residential Utilities Installer registrations. All registrations renew annually. Upon issuance of the initial registration for Plumber's Apprentice, an expiration date will be selected at random for anywhere from 6-18 months from the date of your application. Drain Cleaner, Drain Cleaner-Restricted and Residential Utilities Installer registrations expire on the same date as the Plumber's Apprentice registration. Continuing professional education is required for Drain Cleaner, Drain Cleaner-Restricted and Residential Utilities Installer registration renewals.

Frequently asked questions regarding renewals:

1. How do I renew my license or registration?
An individual may renew their license or registration online, by mail, or in person:
  • Online renewals - renew your license or registration at the following link: State of Texas Licensing System
    You need to create a secure online account in order to renew online. Instructions can be found on our Online Services page. You may renew online if your license/registration is expired for 275 days or less. You may pay your renewal fee by credit card or check (ACH). You may update your address information online while renewing.
  • Renewal by mail - in order to renew by mail you must submit a renewal form. There is not a blank form that you can use to renew your license
  • Renewal in person - renewal payments may be made in person at the TSBPE office located at 929 East 41st St., Austin. Our business hours are from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday-Friday. You will need to provide photo identification. You may pay for your renewal fee by check, money order, cashiers check, or the exact amount of cash.
2. How long does it take before my license or registration card will be mailed to me?
You should allow 7-10 days for processing of your completed renewal application. Your license or registration pocket card will generally be mailed no later than 7-10 days from the time that ALL renewal requirements have been met. Payment of your renewal fees is only one of the renewal requirements. Processing of the payment (either online or by mail) takes approximately 3-4 days. It is important to consider the processing time and not wait until the last few days of your renewal period to renew your license or registration. Your license or registration is not considered renewed until the entire renewal process has completed.

3. What if I lost my renewal form, or did not receive one?
Your license or registration cannot be renewed without a completed renewal form. You may either renew online (if eligible) or you may contact our office at 800-845-6584 ext. 65248 to request a duplicate renewal form.

4. How do I change my address?
You may change your address by e-mail at or by telephone at 800-845-6584 ext. 65248. Please provide your name, license or registration number, new address and telephone number. You may also update your address information at the time of renewal, either online or by mail.

5. When and where are Continuing Professional Education classes in my area?
The Board approves the Continuing Professional Education Providers, Instructors and Course Materials but does not schedule classes or set prices. The Board does not have information regarding dates, times and location of classes. Please contact the Continuing Professional Education Providers directly for information regarding class dates, times, locations, course materials used and prices charged. Board-approved Continuing Professional Education Providers are listed on our web site under the link titled "Continuing Education".

6. How do I get a duplicate license or registration pocket card, or paper wall certificate?
To request a duplicate license or registration pocket card or paper wall certificate (for licenses only), a licensee or registrant must complete the Board's form titled "REQUEST FOR DUPLICATE LICENSE/REGISTRATION CARD OR LICENSE CERTIFICATE". This form is available on the agency's website under the link titled "Applications and Forms". The form must be signed before a notary public and submitted by mail or in person with the appropriate fee. Please allow 7-10 days for processing.